Control State Best Practices Awards
What are the Best Practices Awards?
The StateWays Control State Best Practices Awards launched in 2015 to recognize control state agencies that are leading the industry in innovation, education and enforcement. Any beverage control agency from the U.S. and Canada is eligible to enter the awards, which are given in eight categories. In addition, one standout is selected as the overall winner, serving as a model for other agencies to follow.
The awards showcase the best parts of beverage alcohol control, which is especially important in today’s political and economic climate. Winning agencies are not only supporting their states or counties with tax revenue, they’re making a difference in their communities through education, regulating sales and service through enforcement and assisting private businesses with efficient distribution systems.
We encourage every control jurisdiction to enter the awards and share your successes with the rest of the industry. Good luck!
PLEASE NOTE, DEADLINES ARE EARLIER THAN PREVIOUS YEARS.
Only include programs that were active at some point between April 1, 2016 and March 30, 2017 (agencies are not allowed to win the same category two years in a row). Entry categories include:
- Best Consumer Education Program
- Best Enforcement Program
- Best Legislative Outreach Program
- Best On-Premise Innovation
- Best Retail Innovation
- Best Technology Innovation
- Best Trade/Licensee Education Program
- Best Warehouse Innovation (includes Distribution)
Include a description of the program’s origination or a mission statement, results you’ve seen so far, metrics you’re tracking to determine effectiveness, and future plans for the program. No need to include all details – we’ll be following up with the winners for more in-depth interviews. A few paragraphs is more than enough.
Deadline for entries is Friday, July 7. Winners will be notified by July 31, and follow-up interviews will be scheduled during the month of August.
- One winner will be selected as the “Best of the Best.” States that enter more than one category will increase the likelihood they’ll be considered for this award.
- Agencies may enter a program in any or all of the categories. Please enter each category only once.
- All winners will be chosen by the editorial staff of StateWays magazine.
- No jurisdiction may win more than one award in 2017.
- All winners must make staff members available for interviews with StateWays editors. Images and additional information may also be requested.
Award and Recognition
The overall winner will be featured on the cover of the Sep/Oct issue of StateWays. All winners will be profiled in that issue, showcasing the reasons they won. In addition, winning agencies will receive an awards plaque to share with their internal and external constituents.
If you have any questions about the Best Practices Awards, please contact the StateWays editorial staff:
- Editor Jeremy Nedelka: email@example.com or 203-855-8499 x2213
- Managing Editor Kyle Swartz: firstname.lastname@example.org or 203-855-8499 x2225
Featured in the November/December 2016 issue of StateWays:
Overall Winner: Keystone of Success (PLCB)
Best Technology Innovation (TIE):Simplified Workflow (Brooklyn Center, MN)
Best Enforcement Program: Local Outreach Builds Relationships (Virginia ABC)
Best Warehouse Innovation: A Public-Private Partnership (NHLC)
Best On-Premise Innovation: Embracing Maine’s Distillery Growth (Maine BABLO)
*The rest of the 2016 Control States Best Practices winners are coming soon*
Featured in the November/December 2015 issue of StateWays:
Overall Winner: Virginia’s Signature Success
All Other Categories: The 2015 Control States Best Practices Awards