Responding to a surge in popularity of premium wines, the New Hampshire Liquor Commission (NHLC) is launching a fine wine tasting series featuring numerous varietals.
A “Cabernet Sauvignon & Merlot from Around the World” tasting event is scheduled for Thursday, Sept. 17, at Manchester Country Club at 180 South River Road in Bedford from 6-8 p.m. It will feature more than 100 fine wines that retail for a minimum of $45, as well as gourmet hors d’oeuvres.
Ticket prices are $65 per person. Event proceeds benefit Concord Hospital’s Payson Center for Cancer Care. For more information and tickets, click here.
In May, NHLC tested the concept of a fine wine event series by hosting an exclusive Italian wine tasting event. It drew a capacity crowd of 150 guests, generated nearly $14,000 in wine sales and raised more than $2,000 for Granite United Way’s Literacy Initiative.
The success of that event prompted NHLC to formally launch this new series, the commission says.
The Sept. 17 cabernet and merlot tasting will feature 14 tables of exclusive wines. Event attendees will have the opportunity to purchase wine via a web ordering application – a first of its kind in the wine industry – which guests can access via their mobile devices, the commission says.
A discount of 15% will be offered for purchases of six or more bottles.
“Some of the world’s most famous and popular wines come from these two varietals, and NH Liquor & Wine Outlets has many exclusive offerings that are difficult if not impossible to find elsewhere,” said Nicole Brassard Jordan, NHLC Wine Marketing Specialist. “This tasting event is an opportunity for our valued customers, from knowledgeable wine lovers to enthusiastic newcomers, to sample some of our finest selections and learn more about the vast offerings for cabernet and merlot varietals. We are committed to providing educational events for our customers and helping them expand their palates.”
A sampling of featured wines include (with company tasting notes included):
- Caymus Special Selection – The venerable Caymus Special Selection is the flagship wine of the Wagner family, compromised of the very best barrels of the vintage. The wine has flavors that can only be achieved through “hang time” – a technique which chances the loss of crop if early winter sets in. Leaving the fruit to “hang” on the vine unusually long develops suppleness, increases color, and matures the tannins of the grape.
- Opus One – This wine is joint venture between Robert Mondavi and Baroness Philippine de Rothschild producing a proprietary Bordeaux-style blend. This vintage wine is a blend of 71% cabernet, 11% merlot and other varietals. It is characterized by fresh aromas of bright red fruits, bay leaf and cassis that give way to subtler notes of black tea and white pepper. Round tannins and creamy texture envelop the familiar flavors of fresh cherry and dark chocolate.
- Chateau Montelena – These are classic high-end wines from the Napa Valley. Originally founded in 1882, cabernet is one of the exclusive winery’s top two varietals.
- Spottswoode – For more than 30 years this winery has produced a lush and limited edition Estate Cabernet Sauvignon that exudes elegant power, effusive blackberry fruit and spice, naturally refined tannins and extraordinary color.
- Château Mouton Rothschild – This cabernet sauvignon is rich, deeply colored, well-structured and very full-bodied.